We are mission-driven. Founded in May 2006, Education First is a national, mission-driven strategy and policy organization with unique and deep expertise in education improvement. Our mission is to deliver exceptional ideas, innovative solutions and real results to help ensure that every student educated in the United States, regardless of race or income, will be prepared for success in college, careers and life. We work closely with practitioners, advocates and funders to design and accelerate policies and plans that support engaged students, outstanding educators, strong systems and effective investments. Education First is staffed with a seasoned team of 49 consultants across the country.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Analysts lead research efforts and support project teams to deliver outstanding work to our clients, and reports to the Managing Analyst. Primary responsibilities include:
- Serve as research lead on project teams and ensure client deliverables meet basic research standards.
- Gather, organize and synthesize research from multiple sources and methods to advance team and client decisions; identify and interview key informants, develop interview protocols, and analyze interview findings; describe, compare and analyze education policy options; develop landscape analyses; develop and administer survey instruments; develop fact-based yet persuasive analyses.
- Bring to bear advanced education knowledge about research findings, federal and state policies and effective practices in Education First’s Focus Areas.
- Organize, prioritize and process large volumes of work under tight deadlines.
- Lead key portions of projects.
- Develop “client-ready” PowerPoint presentations, policy memos, briefs, reports, strategy documents and other products drawing from documentation and research work. Assist in researching and writing materials for publication.
- Education First believes in coaching and supporting its staff members to meet their full potential. Over time, the Analyst will be expected and supported to develop skills in strategic planning, project management and client management.
Experience & Qualifications
- Three or more years of experience in policy, research, political campaigns or other relevant public affairs experience in education.
- Strongly prefer candidates with teaching experience and/or who have worked in a local education agency, state education agency or charter management organization.
- Demonstrated understanding of current education reform issues, especially in our Focus Areas: Engaged Students; Outstanding Educators; Strong Systems; and Effective Organizations and Investments.
- Strong qualitative research skills and experience, including landscape scans, literature reviews, legislative/policy analysis, field documentation and/or synthesis.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills, firm understanding of quantitative research methods.
- Ability to read, understand, translate and synthesize technical literature and quantitative research, and basic survey methods.
- Exceptional word processing, email, PowerPoint, spreadsheet and design skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills (public speaking and facilitation skills are pluses).
- Demonstrated experience working effectively on teams and with diverse constituencies.
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Master’s in public policy, public administration, business, education, JD or related fields a plus, but not required.
- A strong commitment to improving student learning and achievement and moving education systems beyond the status quo.
- Highly organized and a detail-oriented self-starter committed to quality and results.
- Takes ownership of own development and intentionally supports others to improve.
- Flexible, resourceful and good humored in a fast-paced, results-oriented culture.
- Ability and desire to work independently in a virtual office environment.
- Strongly recommended for employment by peers and co-workers.
Location and Compensation
Education First is a virtual consulting firm headquartered in Seattle, WA. We seek to hire the most talented staff in the nation, regardless of location. Currently, our staff members reside in California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and the Washington D.C. area. The location for this position is flexible, but must be accessible to a major airport. Education First offers a competitive salary and benefits package. For greater detail about the company, please visit our web site at www.education-first.com.
Enthusiastic candidates should email a resume and detailed cover letter describing how your qualifications and interests match Education First’s needs, as well as salary history, to email@example.com (include “Analyst” in the subject line). Please, no phone calls or other inquiries.
Education First is a proud equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all races, national origin, age, religion, creed, veteran or disabled status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.