We are mission-driven. Founded in May 2006, Education First is a national, mission-driven strategy and policy organization with unique and deep expertise in education improvement. Our mission is to deliver exceptional ideas, innovative solutions and real results to help ensure that every student educated in the United States, regardless of race or income, will be prepared for success in college, careers and life. We work closely with practitioners, advocates and funders to design and accelerate policies and plans that support engaged students, outstanding educators, strong systems and effective investments. Education First is staffed with a seasoned team of 49 consultants across the country.
Position Responsibilities: Finance Analyst
This an exciting opportunity to support the CFO of a dynamic, fast-paced and entrepreneurial organization. Education First has grown and expanded rapidly over the past five years, doubling in staff size and revenue, while deepening impact and broadening our client base. Our Finance function provides direct support to our client-facing team and ensures the firm meets its financial goals and obligations.
Our ideal candidate will be a solutions-oriented, strategic thinker who is committed to serving the firm and its consultants as primary customers. The Finance Analyst will learn and execute our day-to-day financial management processes and provide direct service to our project teams. This position reports to the CFO. The primary responsibilities of the Finance Analyst include:
Financial Management Support
- Support the CFO with firm-level analysis, reporting and strategic management of firm finances, including but not limited to:
- Planning and monitoring of the budget to ensure we reach our outcomes.
- Reporting out on progress against revenue and sales targets.
- Tracking and developing metrics and key performance indicators for monthly, quarterly and yearly reporting.
- Compiling statistics for our performance review process and management of our sales bonus process.
- Coordinate with the CFO and the firm’s bookkeeper to complete regular transactions, including:
- Supporting monthly payroll and client invoicing.
- Managing internal and client-related expenses.
- Document finance procedures and collaborate with the CFO to prioritize business processes for improvement. Identify and communicate additional process, data and reporting needs within our project management system (“The Force”) to fulfill financial management responsibilities for the firm.
- Serve as the firm’s go-to person for ensuring proper use and implementation of our project management system.
- Develop “client-ready” PowerPoint presentations, reports, strategy documents and other products as needed to support and enhance the firm’s business practices.
- Provide additional support as directed by the CFO.
Direct Support to Client-Facing Team
- Support project teams to win work and manage profitable projects, including but not limited to:
- Working with project teams to develop project scopes and budgets and fulfilling ad-hoc reporting requests, such as grant reporting and other special requests.
- Providing contract and RFP support.
- Leading new project set up: creation of project sites within our project management system, posting of key items (contract, budget, proposal) and drafting new project announcements.
- Providing ongoing project-level management, maintenance and adjustments to project teams to ensure successful management of projects budgets and profitability.
Experience & Qualifications
- A proven professional with 4+ years of experience in financial management or related field.
- Solutions-based contributor who effectively executes high value-add processes and can clearly communicate their value to our busy client-facing team.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting or related subject required.
- Prior experience working in the education field and/or professional services firm highly preferred.
- Knowledge and expertise in key applications that support our work, including: advanced Microsoft Excel and the full Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with QuickBooks desirable.
- Some experience with ERP systems and high degree of comfort with technology and data highly preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize and process large volumes of work under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously, and follow through on issues in a timely manner.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively on teams and with diverse constituencies.
- A strong commitment to improving student learning and achievement and moving education systems beyond the status quo.
- Highly organized and a detail-oriented self-starter committed to quality and results.
- Takes ownership of own development and intentionally supports others to improve.
- Flexible, resourceful and good humored in a fast-paced, results-oriented culture.
- Ability and desire to work independently in a virtual office environment.
- Strongly recommended for employment by peers and co-workers.
Location and Compensation
Education First is a virtual consulting firm headquartered in Seattle, WA. We seek to hire the most talented staff in the nation, regardless of location. Currently, our staff members reside in California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and the Washington D.C. area. The location for this position is flexible, but must be accessible to a major airport. Education First offers a competitive salary and benefits package. For greater detail about the company, please visit our web site at www.education-first.com.
Enthusiastic candidates should email a resume and detailed cover letter describing how your qualifications and interests match Education First’s needs, as well as salary history, to email@example.com (include “Finance Analyst” in the subject line). Please, no phone calls or other inquiries.
Education First is a proud equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all races, national origin, age, religion, creed, veteran or disabled status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.