Carl joined Education First in January 2016, bringing extensive experience and expertise in school turnarounds, high quality school growth, alternative school governance models and high-impact philanthropy. His work at Education First supports education leaders in developing systems that promote capacity building, sustainability, quality school options and effective school governance. He also helps foundations and philanthropists design and execute effective grant-making strategies.
Carl’s commitment to education comes from the fact that he is more than an optimist, he is a believer. A believer in what is possible for kids, adults, organizations and communities when we provide equitable access to high-quality public education. Before joining Education First, Carl was a Program Officer at the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, where he helped to lead the planning and development of Georgia’s Opportunity School District, as well as the launch of a citywide initiative to increase the growth of high-quality public schools in Los Angeles. Previously, Carl served as Senior Director of Operations and Impact at the Partnership for Los Angeles Schools.
Carl holds an MBA from Harvard Business School and a BA in Economics from UC San Diego. He also is an alumnus of the Broad Residency in Urban Education. Carl enjoys running, boxing and golf in his spare time, and loves spending time cheering for the Denver Broncos with his wife and two kids.
- Quality School Options and Governance
- Capacity Building and Sustainability
- Resource Use and Impact
- Grant Making Strategy and Effectiveness
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- The Aspen Institute
- NoVo Foundation
- The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
- Abundant Living Family Church - Care and Compassion Ministry, Active Volunteer
- Abundant Living Family Church - Children’s Ministry, Active Volunteer
- Urban Farmers, Inc. - Affordable Housing Firm, Advisor
- Citizens of the World Charter School- Los Angeles, Board Member
- ExED, Board Member
My children (Casey and Courtney)