About Education First:
Education First is a national education policy and strategy firm with a seasoned team of trusted advisors to the leaders responsible for delivering what many Americans want most: public education that effectively prepares all students for success in college, careers and a world of constant change. We were founded in 2006 in order to fill a need in the field for excellent consulting and advising delivered by educators and education policy advisors.
Our mission is to deliver exceptional ideas, experience-based solutions and results so that all students – and particularly low-income students and students of color – are prepared for success in college, career and life. We work closely with policymakers, practitioners, funders and advocates to design and accelerate policies and plans that support strong systems, outstanding educators, engaged students and effective organizations and investments.
We are a team of about 60 consultants who live in nearly 20 different states and work across the nation. We are educators, policy advisors, advocates and funders. We have served local, state and national clients in more than 40 states. We understand the complexity of public education – from the classroom to national policy – and we know how to navigate it. We rely on our trusted relationships and deep knowledge to develop solutions that bridge the gap between visionary leadership and pragmatic implementation. We also are hard-working and light-hearted, passionate about student success and obsessed with quality and professional growth; these are just a few of the traits we encourage and cultivate at Education First. Our vibrant culture is built upon our core ideals: original thinking, collaboration, entrepreneurialism, authenticity and fun.
Education First believes in coaching and supporting its staff members to meet their full potential. Over time, the Analyst will be expected and supported to develop skills in strategic planning, project management and client management. New analysts will be invited to join one of three teams grouped by our Focus Areas: Engaged Students; Outstanding Educators; and Effective Organizations and Investments.
Analysts lead research efforts and support project teams to deliver outstanding work to our clients and report to the Managing Analyst. New analysts will be invited to join one of three teams aligned to our Focus Areas: Engaged Students; Outstanding Educators; and Effective Organizations and Investments. Primary responsibilities include:
- Develop research workplans, serve as research lead on project teams, and ensure client deliverables meet basic research standards.
- Gather and/or develop protocols, administer surveys, conduct interviews and focus groups, lead analyses for interviews, surveys and landscape scans; and develop fact-based, persuasive analyses.
- Contribute considerable content knowledge in Pre-K-12 and higher education issues about research findings, federal and state policies and effective practices in Education First’s Focus Areas.
- Organize, prioritize and process large volumes of work under tight deadlines.Lead key portions of projects such as particular workstreams or work groups.
- Write first drafts and then collaborate with project managers to finalize “client-ready” PowerPoint presentations, policy memos, briefs, reports, strategy documents and other products drawing from documentation and research work.
Education First believes in coaching and supporting its staff members to meet their full potential. Over time, the Analyst will be expected and supported to develop skills in strategic planning, project management and client management.
Experience & Qualifications
- Three or more years of direct work experience in policy, research, political campaigns or other relevant public affairs experience in education.
- Demonstrated understanding of current education reform issues
- Robust qualitative research skills and experience, including landscape scans, literature reviews, legislative/policy analysis and/or synthesis.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills founded in a firm understanding of quantitative research methods.
- Working knowledge to translate and synthesize technical literature, quantitative research and basic survey methods.
- Advanced word processing, email, PowerPoint, spreadsheet and design skills.
- Precise oral and written communication skills (demonstrated public speaking and facilitation skills are a plus).
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with minimal guidance, on teams and with diverse constituencies.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Strongly prefer candidates with teaching experience and/or who have worked in a local education agency, state education agency or charter management organization.
- Advanced degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, Business, Education, Juris Doctor or related fields preferred.
Who You Are
- Unwavering in your commitment to improving student learning and achievement and moving education systems beyond the status quo.
- Committed to the vision of a more equitable education system in the U.S., including willingness to examine the role of privilege, structural barriers and inclusion in changing the trajectories of students furthest from opportunity.
- Highly organized and a detail-oriented self-starter committed to quality and results.
- Proactive in anticipating and adjusting for unexpected barriers to success.
- Take ownership in your own development and intentionally support others to grow professionally.
- Flexible, resourceful and good humored in a deadline-driven, results-oriented culture in an organization on the move and always striving for excellence.
- Thrive when working independently and desire to work in a virtual office environment.
- Strongly recommended for employment by peers and co-workers.
Education First actively engages our team with a robust Race, Inclusion, Diversity and Equity (RIDE) strategy to build our staff and organizational capacity to lead on issues of equity and to increase diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels of the firm. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we strongly encourage applications from candidates of all races, national origin, age, religion, creed, veteran or disabled status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Location and Compensation
Education First is a virtual consulting firm headquartered in Seattle, WA. We seek to hire the most talented staff in the nation, regardless of location. Your location must be accessible to a major airport for some project-related travel and during the few times annually all staff are brought together. Education First offers a competitive salary and benefits package. For greater detail about the company, please visit our website at www.education-first.com.
This position will be collecting applications until December 31st, 2018 and candidates invited to begin the interview process will be notified after applications close. The anticipated start date of this position is February 1st, 2019. Enthusiastic candidates should email a resume and detailed cover letter describing how your qualifications and interests match the content expertise within one of our three focus areas, your salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include “Research Analyst” in the subject line). Please, no phone calls or other inquiries.